This is the first and one of the more important steps in the beginning of your orthodontic treatment. Follow these simple instructions:
- DO NOT REMOVE THESE SPACERS. Spacers are designed to “make space” for the back molar bands. This will make your next appointment easier and faster.
- Spacers feel like something is caught between your teeth… that’s because something is caught between your teeth. If you ever had popcorn or meat caught, you know the feeling.
- Brush normally – you cannot brush the spacers away.
- Floss normally – but DO NOT floss the spacers.
- If a spacer is lost, it does not need to be replaced.
- If necessary, take aspirin or Tylenol (or your regular pain medication as directed). Rinse with warm salt water (1 tablespoon of salt in 8 oz. of warm water) three to four times per day.
- The spacers will be removed on the day your braces are placed.
Wearing elastics (rubber bands) is a critical phase of your treatment. Cooperation and following instructions can speed up your treatment. This could mean finishing braces faster. NOT cooperating and NOT following instructions could mean wearing braces LONGER and not getting the result you want!
- Elastics are to be worn 24 hours per day, 7 days a week; no vacations.
- Change them 2 times a day; morning and night.
- If one (1) breaks, change them both; always carry some with you because they will break.
- DO NOT wear more than one on each hook. Too much force is as bad as not enough force.
- The package of elastics should last from one appointment to another. If you are running low CALL and we will mail you some more. Don’t run out, because…
- Missing one (1) hour takes three (3) hours to catch up; missing one (1) day takes three (3) days to catch up.
- If worn as instructed, it will feel funny and uncomfortable to be WITHOUT your elastics.
We know you can do it. Think of you elastics as the key to the motor that, when turned on, gets your braces OFF!